eclectic design inspiration

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Recipe: Corn Chowdah

So how badly do you want to try The. Best. Corn. Chowder. Recipe. Ever? I am SO serious. I had never made a cream-based soup before (if I discovered this before now, I may have been a 500 pound middle schooler because a) it's sooooo easy to make and b) it is so freakin tasty!) and I gotta be honest - it turned out damn good. Dustin' my shoulders off, yep!

Just kidding. I am pretty sure it is a fool-proof recipe. You wanna know why? Because I'm the fool who went to the grocery store, bought all of the ingredients, did all of the prep, and then realized right before I needed to start making the SOUP, the only cooking-thing I had in my apartment was a skillet!!!! I forgot that I had left all of my pots and pans (all 2 of them!) at my friend's house. (I had made them velveeta Texas queso one night while we were watching the Blazers. God I'm a good friend.) Anywayyyyy, guess what? It still turned out PERFECT. The soup, like 8 cups of it, turned out perfect when I cooked it in a freakin skillet! So yes, the recipe is no doubt fool-proof.

And even though the recipe is perfect (I really need to expand my vocabulary don't I?) I'm not including a photo of it in this post because, um yeah the lighting in my kitchen sucks and let's just say that the photos I did take were very unappetizing. Foods I will never post my own photos of are: pretty much anything that someone might mistake for throw-up. Or the opposite. That photo I posted a while back of my homemade veggie broth was definitely questionable. 

Clouds
Snow
Puppies
Sunshine
Sweaters
Pillow
Water
Twitter
Ryan Gosling

weheartit.com

Okay I just wanted to get your mind on something yummy nice before I give you the recipe :)

Ingredients:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 - 1 1/2 cups water
2 cubes vegetable bouillon
2 cups corn
2 cups soy milk
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Yeah I'm totally ignoring what you're thinking right now. Just trust me, it is a good recipe. As is.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and celery; cook until just slightly golden. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil over high heat, stir in bouillon and reduce to medium heat. When bouillon cubes have dissolved, add corn and the vegetables from the skillet. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add water if necessary.

Reduce heat to low, and pour in 1 cup of soy milk. Quickly whisk in flour, then add parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until soup thickens, about 15-20 minutes. Then you are done!

Nom nom nom. And guess what? Only 153 calories/serving, 6.7 g fat. Booyah!

And for the original recipe, thank allrecipes.com - "Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love the sharing of ideas and getting to know you, so thank you for your comment! It really makes my day!