eclectic design inspiration

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Vintage Christmas... You're Such a Cutie



Today I went antiquing - one of my absolute favorite things in the world. My friend Hannah is visiting from Grants Pass and we had made a pact that during her stay we'd do some of the random things that sound really fun to us but nobody else. Those things included but weren't limited to: attempting to stalk the Blazers after their home games (supposedly they like to go to the Cheesecake Factory), a one-on-one tutorial about Twitter and tweeting (I just joined and can't seem to grasp the concept of a hashtag), and hitting up most of the antique stores around town. Today we did the antiquing. We went to Monticello in east Portland and I was absolutely blown away by all of the beautiful and fun vintage Christmas decorations. It gave me this incredible nostalgia for the past, like the same feeling you get while watching It's a Wonderful Life - minus the sobs of happiness "every time a bell rings." After looking at probably 3,000 wonderful things, I ended up buying an apothecary jar filled with little pine cones and gold tinsel and little Christmas miracles, and a piƱata. Yeah, I like things from Mexico. I'll put a Santa hat on it.

This excursion reminded me of the way vintage and antique-inspired Christmas decor can add so much to your home - since it's such a sentimental season to begin with. It can also be a rather inexpensive option for decorating if you hit up estate sales and flea markets. Below are some of the photos I snapped with my phone while shopping at Monticello. One thing to note: bottle brush trees and wreaths are very "in."





bottle brush wreaths and trees






vintage cardboard signs

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love the sharing of ideas and getting to know you, so thank you for your comment! It really makes my day!